The first thing to do is ensure the area is safe. Storms will cause damage to the entire area, not just your roof. Some of the things you’ll want to look for and avoid are:
- Downed power lines
- Broken gas lines
- Down trees and tree branches
- Dangerous debris like broken glass, lumber, and nails
Once you’ve determined that the area is safe you’ll want to perform a self-assessment of the area. Keep a phone or pad of paper handy to take notes over the things you’re seeing. It’s also a good idea to take pictures of anything you think might be important. While you’ll want to write down any actual damage you see, you’ll also want to note signs that the storm was strong enough to cause damage even if you can’t see the damage with your untrained eye. Some of the things you’ll want to look for are:
- Bent, broken, lifting, and missing shingles
- Missing granules and excess granules in your downspout
- Damaged gutters and siding
- Dents and divots in your shingles
- Visible holes in the roof
- Branches and limbs on the roofs
- Downed trees and branches in the surrounding area
- Local weather reports of high winds and hail sightings in ArkLaTex
- Displaced lawn furniture and trash cans
- Damaged exterior structures like fences and sheds
Once you’ve performed your self-assessment and either determined that you do have damage or that the conditions were right to cause damage, contact a local ArkLaTex Roofing contractor like Hostetler Roofing to schedule a professional inspection of your roof. Your contractor will perform a thorough assessment of the roof and provide you with a report and the guidance to move forward with the next steps.
If you intend to file an insurance claim you’ll want to call your insurance company immediately. Time is of the essence when it comes to storm damage, and this will be doubly important if a lot of people were impacted by the storm. Your insurance provider will likely be busy helping other customers in the area, so you’ll want to get this process started as quickly as possible. Be prepared with all the necessary information when you contact your insurance company including:
- Name, Address, and Contact Information
- Suspected or Confirmed Damage
- Policy Number
- Questions or Concerns About Coverage
Now that you’ve confirmed the damage to the roof and started the claims process with your insurance provider you can schedule the repairs to your roof. Your local, trusted roofing contractor in ArkLaTex will help you decide on the best course of action to get your roof back in shape weather that means repairing the roof or replacing it entirely.
Has your roof sustained damage in a recent ArkLaTex storm? Contact Hostetler Roofing, today, to schedule a free inspection and find out how we can help you!